MANILA, Philippines—Marlisa Punzalan, a 15-year-old Filipin0-Australian singer, proved Australia that she has the X-Factor after defeating two other contestants, Brothers3 and Dean Ray Monday.
-Marlisa was born in Sydney, Australia in October 1999 with Filipino parents. She has an older brother. She stated that she was influenced by her grandparents to sing.
-Marlisa won first place in the Sydney Eisteddfod Performing Arts Challenge in 2009, belting a Whitney Houston hit “I Have Nothing” when she was just nine-years-old.
-She took home three gold medals in the same competition in 2013.
“Marlisa and Friends”– Marlisa’s had her first solo concert called “Marlisa and Friends” in The Basement, a popular live music venue in Sydney in December 2011.
- Marlisa’s choice of music are classic hits from The Beatles. She also cites Aretha Franklin as her idol.
Marlisa plays the piano and has performed in the International Conservatorium of Music for three straight years (2003 to 2005). She also played her first solo piano concert when she was just seven-years-old.
MARLISA is a consistent multiple winner of Gold Awards at the prestigious Sydney Eisteddfod Performing Arts Challenge.
Exceptional Vocalist of the Year 2012.
Dean Ray & Marlisa Punzalan Duet – Live Grand Final Decider – The X Factor Australia 2014
Marlisa Punzalan’s ACHIEVEMENTS
- April 2014 – Grand Finalist, Burwood’s Got Talent
- March 2014 – Grand Finalist, Willoughby Idol
- January 2014 – Vocaist/ Performer, The Concourse, Chatswood
- January 2014 – Vocalist/Performer, United Fundraising Concert, Burwood RSL
- December 2013 – Vocal Soloist, Christmas In The Hills Celebration
- November 2013 – Vocal Soloist, Salvation Army Bushfire Appeal Fundraising Concert
- October 2013 – Vocal Soloist, Run for the Hills, Castle Towers
- September 2013 – Crestwood Idol Runner Up, Crestwood IDOL
- July 2013 – Triple Gold Medalist at Sydney Eisteddfod Performing Arts Challenge
- Winner – Vocal Performance (14 yrs & under) Winner – Gospel Division (15 yrs & under)
- Winner – R & B Division (15 yrs & under)
- Runner up – Country Music Division (15 yrs & under)
- Highly Commended – Jazz Division (15 yrs & under)
- June 2013 – LIVE Auditions Qualifer – Australia’s Got Talent
Singing is the most enjoyable, magical, and relaxing activity for me. I remember my grandmother had always wanted me to sing. So I started to perform at my brother’s piano recital and since that day I have always believed singing was my thing.
All these amazing accomplishments make me feel extremely blessed, grateful and very happy. Thank You all for your endless support (special mention to mom, dad & my brother ). I am so thankful for my gift and I plan to passionately continue to reach my dream of becoming a well known international singer & songwriter.”
Congratulations once again Marlisa, you make the whole Filipino community proud!
Source: Marlisa Punzalan website