in

Fox News Apologizes For ‘Totally Muslim’ Remarks

United States TV news network Fox News has apologized multiple times for on-air comments that suggested there are “totally Muslim” no-go zones in Europe, in the channel’s coverage of the deadly attacks in France.

At least one commentator and one anchor suggested there were areas in France and Britain in particular where non-Muslims are not allowed and police do not go.

Security analyst Steven Emerson said “non-Muslims just simply don’t go in” to the British city of Birmingham, during a discussion of multiculturalism. Emerson is not a Fox staffer, but similar allegations were later aired by one of the network’s star anchors.

Following an uproar on Twitter and elsewhere, Fox News aired a lengthy apology during several broadcasts Saturday.

“Over the course of this last week, we have made some regrettable errors on air regarding the Muslim population in Europe,” anchor Julie Banderas said.

Three days of violence in France left 17 people dead earlier this month, including 12 people at the offices of satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo.

The newspaper had angered many Muslims over its repeated publication of cartoons depicting Islam’s Prophet Mohammed.

In the wake of the attacks, Fox News had suggested some Muslims were out of control in Europe, drawing mockery online and from European public officials.

Prime Minister David Cameron called Emerson a “complete idiot.”

Fox News said “we deeply regret the errors,” but also added a caveat.

“There are certainly areas of high-crime in Europe, as there are in the United States and other countries, where police and visitors enter with caution,” it said.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Loading…

Loading…

0

Comments

comments

NOT SEEN ON TV: Darren Espanto Sings 'Tell The World of His Love' at Pope Francis' UST Event

NOT SEEN ON TV: Darren Espanto Sings ‘Tell The World of His Love’ at Pope Francis’ UST Event

Record-Breaking Crowd: 6 Million People Gathered So Far At Luneta For Pope Francis’ Mass

FULL TEXT: Archbishop Socrates Villegas’ Statement At The Departure Of Pope Francis From The Philippines